Saturday, May 15, 2010

What A Friend We Have In Jesus

I realize that I have neglected my blog. I truly do enjoy posting here, but I guess I haven't had much to say lately.

I am having hip replacement surgery. The thought of part of my bone being sawed off is very disturbing to me. I told my primary care doctor that and she was sure that the surgeon would let me have it if I wanted it. I guess that was her way of saying that I was being a little silly about the situation.

I have watched countless videos on youtube about hip replacement. I saw a full length actual surgery on ORLIVE.com. They have videos of all types of surgeries. It is very addictive. There is a youtube video on how to get in and out of a car, step into a bathtub, and exercises to do after the surgery, and several video diaries from people who have had the surgery.

My sweet daddy had hip replacement surgery. He also had his knee replaced on the opposite side. His hip surgery was a painful failure. I have diagnosed the problem, now that I have my youtube degree, as the cement that was to attach the stem of the prosthesis to his femur, failed and it was rubbing his bone. He said it hurt every time he stood up because he could feel it scraping. Daddy never mentioned having a revision to his surgery, but they do in cases of a failure, such as his. He decided to tough it out, he had a very high pain tolerance. I don't want to have to make a decision to live in pain for the rest of my life or have a revision. But, Daddy's surgery was a long time ago. I think it was about 20 years ago. My surgeon said he will not use cement. There is some fancy finish on the stem that encourages the bone to grow to it and cement is not used.

I was told that I am the first patient on surgery day. I am concerned that I will be overly anxious that morning. Anxiety will make my blood pressure go up. I don't want that to happen. So, my first priority will be for them to put me to sleep. There is no anxiety in sleeping!

I have stopped taking my anti-inflammatory medicine and it is painful. Extra strength Tylenol is my new drug of choice. Anti-inflammatory meds make your blood thin and they want you to stop 2 weeks before surgery. Then for 2 weeks after surgery I will take injections twice a day to thin my blood. Go figure! I hope that after the surgery, I will not need anti-inflammatory meds.

I purchased a cane that folds up. I have it leaning against the wall by my bed. I may have to use it soon. My daddy and granddaddy both walked with a cane. Actually they both used the same wooden cane. (Not at the same time.) It had a cow's head carved into it. They looked very paternal with the cane. They were both really old when they started using the cane. I have a very, very vivid memory of my granddaddy sitting in the porch swing at my Aunt Chris' house and pushing off on the swing with the cane and whistling "What A Friend We Have In Jesus". Granddaddy also would hook the dog's collar with the crook of the cane and pull her over to him so he could scratch her. Thinking of my granddaddy makes me feel like everything is right with the world. He would save the mini rolls of LifeSavers that he got from the bank for us when I was a little girl. Sometimes they would be completely soggy from the humidity in his old farm house, but it was the greatest present ever. He also saved the metal flags that came in the Shredded Wheat box. They were in these little wax paper envelopes. I guess Granddaddy had arthritis. He died around 1965, so I don't believe he would have had the option of joint replacement.

I am going to training in Colorado on Wednesday. I am taking my cane. I have been looking forward to this training for a long time. It snowed in Colorado last weekend. Cold weather will make my hip hurt. I hope it will be warm next week in Colorado.

I do my pre-op on Monday after I return from my training. I work part of day on Tuesday, then go to the dentist to get a crown set and my teeth cleaned on Tuesday, then Wednesday at 7:15 a.m. will be my surgery. Recovery is 4 - 6 weeks. I hope to be able to return to work after 4 weeks since I do sit at a desk. Rehabilitation will take about 6 months total until I am better than ever.

What A Friend We Have In Jesus
All our sins and griefs to bear
What a privilege to carry
Everything to God in prayer


Love you guys!

1 comment:

Dettao said...

I love your granddaddy story!