Sunday, April 19, 2009

Life Before Ribs

I never really ate ribs when I was growing up. I thought they were messy and would get all over your face and in between your teeth. Too much work for such a little amount of meat. I doubt that Mother ever cooked a rib. I have become enlightened and now, I love ribs.

My friend Judi introduced me to dry rub ribs from Corky's a long time ago. We lived in New Orleans and there was a Corky's there. They were delicious dry ribs. Judi was from Memphis and the rib mecca of the world was is in Memphis. It was a place called the Rendezvous that she spoke of as being the best ribs. I think it is still there and I will have to check it out one day.

However, Texas knows a thing or two about ribs. There was a great rib place close to where I live called the Cotton Belt. The parking lot was filled with pot holes, the restaurant floor was bare concrete and not level, and there were peanut shells all over the floor. You just knew it was going to be good. They smoked those ribs until the meat was falling off. They would cook fries, fried okra, corn fritters and bring them out to the table steaming hot. It was wonderful. When we had family visiting from out of town, we would take them there. But suddenly in December they closed their doors. We miss the Cotton Belt. Then my sister Lizzie found a new rib place called the Red Barn. It is a tiny parking lot and a very small restaurant. But, they can cook ribs. They also have broccoli salad that is delicious. Lizzie found out that the Red Barn is opening a second location in the old Cotton Belt place. Oh my, there is great symmetry there. It is opening the end of May and I can't wait.

Oprah shared her receipe on the show one day for slow cooking ribs in the oven all night and I now can make a good slow cooked rib. The only problem is that after they have cooked all night, you have to eat them for breakfast. There is no way that Joe and I can smell them and not want to eat them right away. I don't know who taught Oprah how to make these, but they are delicious. It is the country style ribs with lots of meat on them. The Neely's are one of my favorite shows on the food network and I think they are in Memphis. Watching them make ribs, set my drool glands off.

Texas is all about barbeque. There are a lot of other places. The Red, Hot, and Blue can make great ribs, but they are best on the weekend. Red, Hot and Blue is similar to Corky's. They have those guitar playing pigs everywhere. They make great potato salad as well. There is also Dickey's, Smithfields, Shady Oaks and I am sure plenty of others. I bet we have a donut shop, dry cleaner and barbeque place in every square mile! Well maybe not a barbeque place every square mile, but definately the donut shops and dry cleaners.

Life was really dull before I discovered ribs. Thanks Judi for enlightening me. My apologies to all the vegetarians out there, but tofu ribs are just wrong!

1 comment:

Judi Coyle said...

What a treat to catch up as I read your posts as I recuperate. Love ya girl! Making it count - not wasting a thing! I'm so proud to be your friend.

Judi